16 February 2011

Iron Craft #7: Gold, Gold, Gold

Her Royal Majesty
copyright 2011 Moira Richardson

When I heard that the challenge for this week's Iron Craft was gold, I wasn't sure what I'd make. Sure, I could easily make some jewelry using gold-plated findings, but I've been into painting lately, so I wanted to stick with that. An image of a crown popped in my head and I knew just what I'd do: create a royal painting complete with gold-leaf. I did a quick sketch on the canvas in pencil, outlined it with waterproof ink, then worked on the shading for the face and skin. I used Stewart Gill Alchemy paint in Afterglow for her eyes. You can't tell from this picture, but her eyes really sparkle in the light. The green gems were colored with Stewart Gill Byzantia in Acanthus. To make the gold on her crown, scepter, and throne, I used an 18k. gold leafing pen from Krylon. This pen has been in my "box of tricks" for years, but I never use it! I love how this painting turned out.  What do you think?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...